As a Principal Engineer you will be a senior member of a development organization but with “champion” responsibilities for the Front-End domain. As part of this role, you will continue to report to your current Software Engineering Director. The Principal should be seen as the owner of a core competency or domain and should work closely with peers and FE developers to maximize the potential of the skills and capabilities on offer.
What we expect from you:
- Thorough knowledge of at least 8 relevant technologies/platforms, ability to have an overview of and integrate technologies, applications, systems and platforms and work on at least 8 different tasks/project components simultaneously.
- Develop new IT technologies, processes, policies and procedures in cooperation with the Delivery Manager and supervision over work activities is indirect.
- Design and build new/complex (multidisciplinary) IT products and architectures.
- Signal long-term trends and problems and formulate and implement proposals for improvement.
- Solve complex multidisciplinary problems and contribute to the development of IT strategy, processes and procedures.
- Lead, guide, coach and train Developers level 1, 2 and 3, act as an expert/consultant in the IT organization and facilitate knowledge sharing.
- Create a community for the FE developers which you will use to collaborate, share and define standards and principles.
- Be seen as custodian and champion of all things “front-end”.
- Be mature and an excellent communicator who can engage both internally and externally.
- Be able to handle all situations and make decisions that will ultimately benefit the organization.
- Be able to challenge the people in tech to grow and develop
- Provide enough information to challenge the developers
- Capable of seeing the big picture (in Tech & Business) and to derive/understand the impacts
- Full ownership of the FE tech (non-exclusive)
- Have an analytical & debugging skill for the development & production environment
- Willing to be less development “hands-on code” & more on the thought processes
- Drive quality, automation, documentation, performance and should be a perfectionist
Principal Engineer Challenges:
- Own the new project design, taking into consideration performance and quality practices
- Design and develop, with your team, the new Travix platform, operating with a high degree of freedom and short decision cycles
- Develop KPI’s for your own and other Product Teams
- Work in close collaboration with other principals and seniors to define and refine processes and practices
- Design, code, and test tools for the department
- Lead code reviews, trainings, and presentations for the teams
- Be hands-on and coach other team members
- Work closely with the Development Manager to achieve company-wide goals
- Request and deliver new tools and technologies to be used throughout the department
- As the gatekeeper, you have the authority to reject the implementation/idea that does not follow the company direction or standard defined
- Define the standards (eg: coding standards, quality gate, CI, etc)
What you bring to the table:
- University degree or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of experience in multiple environments and technology stacks, from front to back, down to networking
- Proficiency in at least two of the following:
- Functional & unit test
- Knowledge of any of the following is a plus:
- Prior experience as an Architect in a comparable high-performance environment in the cloud (we use Google Cloud)
- A balanced view on “best practices”, with a strong dose of pragmatism, while maintaining a forward-looking attitude
- The capability to be highly effective within and without a team
- A high drive to achieve, more than to be perfect
- High degree of accountability, commitment, and responsibility
- A detail oriented and proactive problem-solving mindset
- Exceptional communication skills in English
What you can expect
- Competitive salary, holiday allowance, and other great benefits!
- Steep learning curve since we’re a leading online company ahead of the curb
- Covered travel costs, discounted ongoing cancellation/travel insurances!
- A multinational team of specialists to inspire and support you!
- There’s a good deal of room to be creative and to build your legacy.
- 30.5 days of paid leave, plenty of time to enjoy your global travel adventures!
- Top floor offices, in the center of Amsterdam, next to Central Station!
Of course you are! Do you recognize yourself in the profile of Principal Front End Engineer? We look forward to receiving your application by clicking the “apply now” button.