As Director of Software Engineering you have primary responsibility for delivering the product roadmap. To facilitate this goal, you drive cultural improvement in the engineering teams, with a focus on directly coaching Engineering Managers and potential leaders. In cooperation with the agile coach and your team leads you’ll organize your teams as efficiently as possible. You’ll be responsible for directly managing 5 people but totally consisting of 50 people. You are responsible for the quality, speed and capability of your teams. Your performance has a direct impact on the financial success and turnover of the company.
Key Purpose and Scope:
- Design and manage the optimum delivery process for software. Adapt and react quickly to business needs.
- Build a team capable of both building and maintaining the Travix technology platforms.
- Resolve conflicts and dependencies within and across teams.
- Play key role in terms of working with the product team to streamline and report on progress.
- It is essential that the incumbent has the foresight to identify potential problems early and ensure that key initiatives remain on track to deliver to the business and that the CIO is kept fully informed and apprised of any developments which may impact on service or project delivery to internal or external customers.
- Maintain frequent and appropriate levels of communication with key stakeholders to ensure that all parties are kept apprised of projects and future plans.
- Maintain a view of all work underway and be able to assess impact of new opportunities to the roadmap.
- Motivate the software delivery teams and functions to deliver exceptional products, services and solutions.
- Proactively manage 3rd party outsource suppliers with a view to optimising delivery and managing cost savings, whilst maintaining long-term effective partnerships.
- Improve quality of delivery through strong management and encourage appropriate use of technology across all facets of the business.
- Support and facilitate the coaching of staff in other departments in delivery best practice.
- Facilitate and enable the cross-team coordination of efforts by several teams.
- Proactively gain competitor insights through attendance at technical conferences, forum contribution and relevant business network community activity.
- Actively network across peer groups to gain knowledge and improve technical and strategic advantage.
- Seek to promote Travix as an employer of choice and consumer product/service provider of choice at every opportunity.
- Understand and support the values of the company through your actions and behaviour - think customer.
What you bring to the table:
- Strong demonstrable business and IT delivery management experience.
- Strong understanding of Agile methodologies including Scrum.
- Experience of delivery within a large and complex online retail environment.
- Experience of Software engineering principles and best practice in large global retail environments.
- Significant experience of working with 3rd parties for delivery of aspects of a project including technology providers.
- Excellent understanding of the e-commerce/online industry, and familiar with the challenges of working in a high transaction environment.
- Experience of supporting international / Global projects would be beneficial.
- A proven innovator who can see problems through to resolution and come up with pragmatic solutions.
- Strategic IT and budgetary experience.
- Strong people management experience, including competency in performance management and team leadership. Ability to energise a team through trust, integrity, strength of vision and dynamism.
- Excellent problem solving skills with a strong strategic and commercial approach. Tenacity to see through and resolve issues at pace.
- Determined achiever who focuses their efforts on delivering outcomes rather than creating journeys.
- Concerned team player, who places great emphasis on collective achievement within his/her team and their peer network. Able to recognize and reward individual and team contributions.
- Adept at influencing, managing and working alongside internal stakeholders and key external service partners, in the delivery of business change, process innovation and new and innovative IT services.
- Demonstrably strong program management skills.
- Customer focused mindset, will support the successful delivery of complex business critical IT services.
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills.
- Ability to initiate and manage change in a way which enhances company performance.
- Able to demonstrate strategic thinking and planning ability, whilst being tactically responsive to changing needs.
- Experienced in delivering exceptional results by focusing the team on the vision, values, key objectives and personal contribution required.
- Above all, he or she will focus their own energy, and that of others, on achieving objectives that support the long term success of the business.
What do we offer?
Travix offers you a challenging job in an open, informal and dynamic environment with many opportunities to develop your career. The employment conditions we offer may be described as competitive. Your working location will be in the centre of Amsterdam in the UP Building close to the Central Station.
Why work at Travix?
- Your contribution is visible and will significantly contribute to our results
- Our working environment supports initiative and values your ideas
- You work for and contribute to a number of renowned brands
- Our websites are used every day by hundred thousands of consumers around the world
- You will have a lot of responsibility and also the freedom to plan your own work
- Travix is an informal organization, where we value high performance and having fun at the same time.
Of course you are! Do you recognize yourself in the above profile, we look forward to receiving your application by clicking the “apply now” button.